November 27, 2013

WANTED! Role models to identify with

As I was doing some blog research I stumbled through loads of blogs. Initially they were all fashion blogs, which didn’t surprise me as much as the age of the girls who were running them. From 13 till 15 and then 18 and more - naturally. What surprised me more were girls who are 13 and wear outfits and present themselves as if they were at least 30(!!!). I am thinking of myself, which hobbies I had and what did I wear at that time and I can’t point out a single one which wouldn’t be just too childish in comparison to those ladies running their fashion blogs. 

But it’s not just about the fashion. It’s also the mainstream identification with the favorite characters from Gossip Girl to Sex and the City. Just the other day I read a post on a blog of a girl who just got braces and she was writing how she can completely identify with Miranda from SATC! REALLY??? Isn’t this a little bit too much? How can a teenage girl identify with a character, which is almost 40? I can barely identify with characters form SATC myself and I am not 18 anymore. On the other hand I fully admit that I am no exception and also used to try those quizzes where they tell you, which character is like you. And yes, we all wanted to be like Carrie. And yes, in the end, we all ended up like someone else. Charlotte, in my case.  

But what I am trying to point out for you here is that we should look for role models and someone to identify with from our own circles. At least from our own age circles. Kids should enjoy their childhood and stop counting down the days till they are mature finally. Easier said that done, because we all have been there and done that.

After all my only concern is: Where is this world heading to when children identify with roles suited for their parents? Do we really lack in role models for our little ones?

Let’s discuss!


PS: Image via Pinterest



Be the first to reply!

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts with me! x