November 25, 2013

Why I’ve stopped following fashion blogs (and I’m not afraid to say it!)

Thinking of it, it would be maybe wiser to tell you first, why I actually started to follow fashion blogs. It was 3 years ago and I was in my last year of BA, procrastinating, looking for inspiration and most of all (NOT) writing my thesis. There was no Pinterest at that time (which sucked BIG times!!) to help me past the days. So I followed girls, who were as ordinary as I was, but without a personal challenge to write something meaningful. They were challenged differently: to wear and not to write. It was easy to associate with them, because we all were (and I still am) shopping in H&M, Mango or Zara (if I got a scholarship). From time to time they introduced some designer handbag or shoes. It was thanks to the fashion blogs I discovered 7 for all mankind (and I’m eternally grateful!), Equipment (which I still can’t afford) or ACNE (shame on me I didn’t know it before!). I was happy I knew something new, original and tasteful. And when I was shopping I could pick up pieces I’ve seen and liked on these blogs. Easy. But where are those girls now? What are they wearing? I can tell you, that I can’t certainly afford anything I see on fashion blogs nowadays. I still don’t own my Jimmies or Loubies. And I’ve started to have difficulties with affording pieces from Zara (is it only me or are their prices just super HIGH?). Slowly, really slowly, I’m starting to make my point here. The girls, who looked like my next-door neighbor, became popular, glamorous and UNATTAINABLE. It makes no difference for me to follow Kate Middleton or Chiara Ferragni. And face it; Kate is at least royalty! I’m missing fresh style, original ideas and attainability (mixed with affordability). Because it’s not about money, fortune and fame – it’s about being playful, innovative and original. As I am always saying: everyone can be well dressed with pockets full of money. It’s not money who do magic. It’s creativity. And that’s exactly WHY I’ve started following creative blogs! Instead. 

For some more inspiration, I leave you with an article from Garance, who is one of the least fashion bloggers I still do follow: The Other Girls

Enjoy!



PS: Pictures via pinterest




4 comments:

  1. Preach girl. I hear ya...I can't afford those items either so you have to be creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Johanna. Sometimes creativity is a lot better than affordability. But still, the best combination is to have it both ;-))

      Delete
  2. You're right and I also have problems affording Zara clothes... really enjoyed this article!
    As part-time fashion bloggers I try to use and re-use my clothes and enjoy playing with my style (actually my blog helped me a lot in this...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, girls! I absolutely agree, that you have to be creative in order to come up with new combinations and style. And you're right, sometimes your own personal fashion blog can help a lot! x

      Delete

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts with me! x